Groundwork entails a number of elements, all related to construction. The main idea behind groundwork is to lay a firm foundation – one that will form the basis for a sturdy building. Therefore, a contractor who is experienced in excavation and groundwork knows how to create a layout that will lead to the building of a well-constructed home or structure.
Why Groundwork Is Important
Groundwork provides the strength needed to hold the weight of a building and supply a proper drainage system for a structure. The primary factors involved in groundwork include excavating, footings, drainage, surfacing, underpinning, and piling.
Therefore, if you want to avoid any errors in the construction of a building, you need to rely on well-experienced excavation and groundwork contractors in SM3. When the right people are employed for this type of undertaking, you can be assured that any inspections will be successful.
Excavation works that are normally evaluated include the following:
- Surface conditions (making sure that cracks or standing water are not present)
- Banks or sides of a bench or slope (checking for cracks or for a change in the soil type)
- Access and egress (making sure that equipment such as ramps, ladders, or stairs are properly placed)
- Shoring and shielding
- Existing utilities
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) (Employees should wear hard hats, steel-toed shoes, and vests that are highly visible)
- Weather conditions (overnight freezing or rain)
You simply cannot downplay the importance of groundwork and excavations work. That is why it is essential to use a contractor that understands all phases of the building process.